Updated : Wed, July 5, 2023 @ 5:23 PM
Originally published : Tue, May 30, 2023 @ 4:33 PM
Updated : Thu, June 1, 2023 @ 4:09 PM
Oil palm, Elaeis guineensis Jacq., is the most productive oil crop in the world1 supplying around 40% of all globally traded vegetable oils. It is the main agricultural export of Malaysia and Indonesia, who account for 82% of global palm oil production. The industry provides employment for 721,000 small holders and labourers in Malaysia and four million in Indonesia.2 Over three billion people rely on palm oil as a key dietary component, and it is also used in a wide variety of non-food ingredients.3
The challenges for palm oil production
How CRISPR can help meet these challenges
Developing CRISPR techniques
Looking to the future
- T7 endonuclease I enzymatic mismatch cleavage assays to detect the presence of mutation triggered by CRISPR.
- PCR-amplification of target sequences followed by Sanger sequencing to confirm the presence of indels.
- Gene or protein expression analysis to confirm the effect of editing on the target gene transcription or translation.
- Phenotypic alterations on edited plants.
Simple and fast DNA extraction
About the author
- Hashim, Z; Muhamad, H; Chan, KW; Choo, YM and Wahid, MB (2010). Life cycle assessment for oil palm fresh fruit bunch production from continued land use for oil palm planted on mineral soil (Part 2). J. Oil Palm Res., 22: 887-894
- EPRS | European Parliamentary Research Service EN, Author: Martin Russell, Members' Research Service PE 614.706 https://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/etudes/ATAG/2018/614706/EPRS_ATA(2018)614706_EN.pdf
- Murphy, D.J., Goggin, K. & Paterson, R.R.M. Oil palm in the 2020s and beyond: challenges and solutions. CABI Agric Biosci 2, 39 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1186/s43170-021-00058-3
- Ahmad Malike, F. et al., 2019. Oil palm (Elaeis spp.) breeding in Malaysia. Advances in Plant Breeding Strategies: Industrial and Food Crops: Volume 6, pp.489-535.
- John Martin, J.J.; Yarra, R.; Wei, L.; Cao, H. Oil Palm Breeding in the Modern Era: Challenges and Opportunities. Plants 2022, 11, 1395. https://doi.org/10.3390/plants11111395
- Soh, A. C., Mayes, S., and Roberts, J. A. (2017). Oil Palm Breeding: genetics and Genomics. Atlanta: CRC Press
- Yeap, W.-C., Norkhairunnisa, K. C. M., Norfadzilah, J., Muad, M. R., Appleton, D. R., and Harikrishna, K. (2021). An efficient clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeat (CRISPR)/CRISPR-associated protein 9 mutagenesis system for oil palm (Elaeis guineensis). Front. Plant Sci. 12, 773656–773656. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpls.2021.773656
- Dhugga, KS (2022) Gene Editing to Accelerate Crop Breeding. Front.PlantSci.13:889995. http://doi.org/10.3389/fpls.2022.889995